Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bible Study Fellowship

I went to my first Bible Study Fellowship meeting in almost 30 years.  I didn't remember much about Bible Study Fellowship except that I learned what the bible is all about.  I have been an avid studier of the bible for many years.
I have attended several churches, moved many many times and had personal mental challenges.  But through it all, God's Word has been the same.  However, my understanding of the truths in the bible has not always been the same or correct.  I only saw the judgement of God for many years.  I felt and knew my true salvation by the blood of Jesus Christ, but could not accept that I was no longer under judgement.  This was due to childhood abuse and depression and the Works theology taught to me in the Catholic church as I was growing up.  (I feel a need to interject the fact that many Catholics, some in my own family, are saved and do not believe that they are saved by works.  They are Bible believing Christians.)   I also had to be in constant counseling and the counselors were not always biblical.  But through it all I have been able to come out of the self imposed judgement and live under the grace that only Jesus can give.
I said all of this to say that going to Bible Study Fellowship is very exciting to me.  It is very structured.  It is a world wide organization.  It is multi-denominational.  It teaches leadership skills.  It teaches how to teach others the bible.  I know that the Holy Spirit will teach me and lead me in the direction He wants me to go.
I am grateful to the Lord for His grace, mercy, loving-kindness, wisdom and knowledge.
If anyone is interested in learning more about Bible Study Fellowship, the link is www.bsfinternational.org.  Check it out.  I know you will be blessed.
I just want to add that at the church I attend we are learning about knowing God.  At Bible Study Fellowship the study is on Isaiah.  Isaiah is a survey of the bible and God's attributes, judgement, grace and mercy through the Messiah.  God is faithful to show us His ways.

No comments: